International Travel Advisory Council
Mission of the International Travel Advisory Committee
The International Travel Advisory Committee (ITAC) has established guidelines, policies and procedures for international university travel that addresses the health and safety of all WVU travelers while studying and/or conducting research/ business. The Committee is responsible for assessing levels of risk in regions where University-related programs and individual travel are occurring or proposed. Academic freedom and the University’s research agenda will be sustained as WVU ensures the safety of our students, faculty and staff.
This committee is chaired by Tara George-Jones and reports to Dr. David Stewart, AVP for Global Strategies and International Affairs. Committee members consist of representatives from across campus, including academic leaders, faculty members, staff, students, and international travel/risk specialists.
This group is responsible for making recommendations for student international travel to locations once a risk designation and/or State Department Travel warning is determined. Individual students will petition the committee. The committee will review the travel advisory documentation with relevant information to make a recommendation for or against travel. Any WVU faculty wishing to develop education abroad programming in a risk area will be required to petition the International Policy Committee as well. The committee reserves the right to change its recommendation and cancel the program at any time should the circumstances in country change.
The committee meets approximately 3-4 times per year as required to review and discuss policies.
Travel warning vs. Travel Alert
Travel Warnings are issued when the State Department recommends that U.S. citizens avoid travel to a particular country because the country is deemed dangerous or unstable. A warning is also issued when the U.S. Government closes its embassy or consulate or reduces the diplomatic staff, thereby limiting the ability to assist Americans.
International Travel Advisory Committee
• Amber Brugnoli, Assistant Vice President - Global Affairs
• Mike Gansor, University Risk Manager
• Marion Holmes, Director, Adventure WV
• Hillar Klandorf, Professor of Physiology and Nutrition - Animal and Nutritional Sciences
• Henry Oliver, Director of Global Advancement - Global Affairs
• Patty Powers, Export Control Officer
• Kelsey Richards, Risk Management Assistant
• Benjamin Silverberg, Assistant Professor - Emergency Medicine
• David Stewart, Associate Vice President - Global Affairs
• Karley White, Student Representative
• Abigail Wolfe, Associate Export Control Officer
• Vanessa Yerkovich, Director of Education Abroad - Global Affairs
Resources used by ITAC
International SOS ( WVU’s Travel Assistance Provider)